Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, October 7, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and eighty

I am always fascinated to see how resilient people can be. Something seemingly calamitous happens and we despair; until we realize that our new situation is really not that bad at all. Then we find creative ways to make the best of things.

Today's picture book is about two individuals who fall on hard times, and who find a way to make the best of a bad situation in a very special and incredibly sweet way. 

Elle van Lieshout and Erik van Os
Illustrated by Mies van Hout
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Lemniscaat, 2009, 978-1-59078-660-4
   Lovey and Dovey are a pair of robbers who stole a pair of blue socks and who are now in a “dismal dungeon.” Though they feel lucky to have each other, Lovey cannot help wishing that they had a better view. Because he loves Lovey so much, Dovey squeezes through the bars of their cell (he is very thin) and he brings his lady love a view of “sun and sea.”
   In the days that follow this first escape, Dovey leaves the cell regularly to bring his beloved other things that will make their cell more pleasant. Soon the cell contains the moon and some stars, an apple tree, a pond, and a haystack. Lovey and Dovey are “pretty snug” in their cell.
   Then the robbers are released into a cold, gray, and damp world. If only they were back in their cell.
   This warm and delightfully unique picture book will give readers a delightful respite from the everyday world. Not only is the story quite charming, but the illustrations are sprinkled with clever little vignettes that children will enjoy looking at. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share