Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, November 4, 2011

The new issue of Through the Looking Glass is now online




The November and December 2011 issue of Through the Looking Glass Children’s Book Reviews is now online. I have put together a wonderful collection of reviews for you for this issue, and I hope you enjoy reading the reviews as much as I enjoyed writing them.

In November and December, people start thinking about and getting ready for the holidays.  For this issue, I chose titles that would make excellent gifts, and therefore almost all the new books in this issue are stand-alone titles, or they are the first book in a new series. The one exception is  Goliath, which is the final book in a trilogy. I included it here because I think the complete trilogy would make a fantastic gift for young readers, and also for adult readers who have an interest in steampunk.

For this issue I have chosen to focus on books about Pirates. I know that many people think that pirate books are exclusively suited to boy readers, but this is no longer the case. It used to be that most of the main characters in books about pirates were men or boys. In many of the books I have reviewed for this feature, there are girls or women who are bold and brave pirates alongside their male brethren, or there are clever girls and women who find ways to outwit their piratical enemies. The books in this feature will suit readers of all ages because there are board books, novelty books, picture books, beginner readers, and novels.

In November and December autumn shifts into winter. During these months, we get serious about bundling up in warm clothes, toasting ourselves in front of warm fires and wood stoves, and finding ways to spend really wet or cold days. I actually really enjoy this time of year as I enjoy sitting under a warm blanket reading a book. What could be better?

For this month’s Editor’s Choice title, I selected In Search of Mockingbird  by Loretta Ellsworth. When I read this book, I could not put it down, and a week after I read it, I read it again. It is a truly extraordinary account of one person's journey of self discovery.

Don’t forget to look at the Bookish Calendar page for reviews about Claude Monet, Roald Amundsen, the mystery of the Mary Celeste, and much more. This calendar is a great tool to use at home and in the classroom to help children incorporate books more fully into their lives.

There are several bookish events taking place in November that I would like to tell you about. They are:

  • November 1 is National Author's Day (USA) 
  • November 8th is National Young Readers Day (USA) - National Young Readers Day is a day that was created by Pizza Hut and the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress in 1989 as a way to celebrate literacy in schools. 
Some of the titles I reviewed several years ago are now out of print. Though you cannot buy these books in every bookshop, many of them are still available for purchase on websites like Amazon.com.

I hope you enjoy this new issue, best wishes for the holiday season, and I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share