Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and seven

When I was around eight years old I managed to convince my mother that I absolutely HAD to have my ears pierced. If I didn't I would be a social pariah, and I would never be able to hold my head high in school again. She fell for it, and I got my wish. Ha Ha!

In today's picture book you will meet a little girl who wants to have pierced ears more than anything else in the world, and her parents steadfastly refuse to let her have her wish. 

Judith Viorst
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Simon and Schuster, 2010, 978-1-4424-1281-1
   All over the world, there are girls who want something more than anything else. They beg their parents to let them have their ears pierced. More than anything in the world they want “Beautiful earrings for pierced ears.”
   I would like you to meet a little girl who is completely crazy about earrings. As far as she is concerned, she needs to have earrings, and she cannot understand why her parents have an objection to her having her ears pierced. Women and girls of all kinds wear earrings, so why can’t she? To make it worse, she is the only girl in her class, in the solar system, whose parents won’t let her pierce her ears.
   Desperate to have her dearest wish fulfilled, the little girl asks for earrings for her birthday and Christmas. She talks about how they will “make me feel good.” She pesters and pesters her parents promising that she will stop pestering them as soon as they decide that she is old enough to have earrings.
   Most of us have something that we really really want. This picture book takes a look at one little girl’s passion, a passion shared by girls of all ages all over the world. Told in her own voice, the narrative perfectly captures the little girl’s personality, and the desperation she feels because her wish is not being granted. Young readers and grownups alike will find it hard not to smile as they read this book together, because the main character is so wonderfully persistent.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share