Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Poetry Friday - A review of Rumble in the Jungle

Not long ago I reviewed Commotion in the Ocean, a board poetry book that grownups can let even their youngest children explore without having to worry that the book might get damaged. I like the fact that Tiger Tales has created books of poetry that are suitable for very little children. True, children who are between the ages of three and five usually cannot read on their own, but why shouldn't they have a book of poetry that is just for them. They can look at the pictures, pick out a familiar word or two, and know that poetry is for everyone, big and small.

Here is another Tiger Tales board poetry book.

Rumble in the JungleGiles Andreae
Illustrated by David Wojtowycz
Board Poetry Book
For ages 3 to 5
Tiger Tales, 2011, 978-1-58925-864-8
   It is morning in the jungle, and the animals are starting to wake up. We can hear “a whisper in the trees” and “rustling in the leaves.” Let’s go into the jungle to “see what we can find.”
   The first animal we meet is the chimpanzee. There they are, swinging through the trees and looking for things to eat. We find out that if chimps cannot find nuts to dine on, they “munch each other’s fleas!”
   Further along in the jungle we meet a zebra. Some people might think that the zebra’s appearance is a bit odd, but this zebra clearly thinks that he is very lucky to have stripes because his “ladyfriend” thinks that his stripes make him look “handsome and cool.”
   All in all this book contains fifteen poems, thirteen of which are about exotic animals that children are naturally drawn to, such as lions, tigers, giraffes, snakes, and gorillas. With amusing rhymes, bright illustrations, and sturdy board pages that will withstand enthusiastic handling, this book will provide little children with an entertaining poetry experience.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share