Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and eighty-one

I have reviewed a lot of books about cats. It would seem that many children's book authors are cat lovers  who cannot resist creating stories about felines. For today's title I have a graphic novel featuring a rather plump cat called Binky who has a vivid imagination, and who also believes that he is destined for great things. I am inclined to agree with him. 

Ashley Spires
Graphic Novel
For ages 8 to 10
Kids Can Press, 2009, 978-1-55453-309-1  
   Binky the cat is very excited because he is now a card carrying Certified Space Cat. He is no longer an “average cat” who sleeps, plays with toys, catches mice, and washes itself. Binky “has a purpose,” and his purpose is to go into outer space one day to “explore unknown places,” and “battle alien creatures.”
   Though Binky has big ambitions, he has actually never left his house. He has never been outside because outside is “outer space” and everyone knows that “outer space isn’t safe for an ordinary cat.” To be able to go into outer space Binky is going to need to build a space ship.
   Of course Binky does not let his mission distract him from his duties defeating aliens (bugs) who have managed to infiltrate his house (space station). His whole life Binky has been a vigilant alien catcher. He has figured out that aliens and bugs are one and the same thing, and he has always done his best to protect his humans from these insidious enemies.
   Though he is able to build his rocket ship (in secret) and protect his humans from aliens, Binky forgets one very important thing. It is only when he is about to blast off into outer space that Binky realizes that there is something that he cannot leave behind.
   In this deliciously funny graphic novel, readers will meet a cat who has takes himself very seriously. Readers will find it not to laugh out loud when they see how this…er…well padded feline struggles to do his duty and achieve his ambitions at the same time. Clearly being a cat means that you have to deal with having a very complicated life.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share