Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and seventy-eight

In almost every group there is that one person who is "out there." This person does what he or she pleases, which often makes other people feel a little uncomfortable or even embarrassed. We don't know how to react when he or she is in full flow, and sometimes we even behave in an unfortunate way that is hurtful. 

In today's picture book you will meet a raven who is definitely the odd bird out, and who has to find his own special place in the world. 

Helga Bansch
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 8
Gecko Press, 2011, 978-1-877467-08-0
   Robert is raven who really does not behave like a raven at all. He is “chirpy,” cheerful, and he loves to dress up, crack jokes, and sing. For a while the other ravens tolerate Robert’s outrageous unravenlike behavior, but eventually the day comes when they decide that enough is enough, and they tell Robert to “Skedaddle” and that he is “a scandal.”
   Poor heartbroken Robert packs his bag, he says goodbye to his family, and he flies off. Far from home and feeling quite worn out, Robert takes a rest in a tree and he sings “a lonely song” to himself. Birds start turning up to listen to Robert, and soon the natural performer is telling them stories, singing songs, cracking jokes, and delighting his audience with his colorful clothes. Robert is a huge hit! Back at home though, the ravens discover that though everything is as it should be, something is just not right.
   In this splendid book, Helga Bansch celebrates those people (and ravens) who are different. She celebrates the people who break the rules and who make the world brighter, happier, and more colorful.
   With unique illustrations and a meaningful story, this is a picture book that will resonate with readers of all ages.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share