Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and seventy-nine

The moment when a child realizes that he or she is connected to others in many different ways is often quite dramatic. I remember when my daughter decided that she couldn't be bothered to pick up her legos (after I asked her to do so). Later that day I slipped on the legos and fell down. When she saw the cut on my leg and the bruises on my arm my daughter was horrified, and she tearfully promised never to "do that again."

In today's picture book you will meet a little boy who does whatever he pleases for much of the day, until he is made to see that being a pest and a nuisance is not cute or funny. In fact, it can really upset people. 

Tom MacRae
Illustrated by Ross Collins
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Andersen Press USA, 2011, 978-0-7613-8099-3
   One morning a little boy wakes up and instead of being a little boy, he is a large sleepy and sluggish hippopotamus. Since hippos “don’t get up in the morning,” the little boy doesn’t get up even when his mother warns him that he is going to be late.
   At the breakfast table the little boy is a robot, a robot who is not programmed to eat and who cannot eat cornflakes. Though his father tells him to “Come on! Eat up!” the boy (in his robot form) cannot understand what he is saying.
   In school, the boy is a monkey who not only climbs on a table, but he also talks back to his teacher when she chastises him for misbehaving.
   As his mood shifts from moment to moment throughout the day, the little boy changes from being a monster to a rocket, and from rocket into a giant, until he goes just too far. Which is when he gets a dose of his own medicine.
   All too often children do not realize that their actions impact others. They blithely go through their day doing whatever they feel like until something happens that shows them that their actions have a ripple effect.
   With delightfully funny illustrations and a bouncy rhyming text, Tom MacRae and Ross Collins help young children to better understand that they need to be aware of others as they go about their day.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share