Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and two

Not long ago my daughter was bemoaning the fact that her life is "so complicated." We both agreed that small children have an easier time of it because they have so few responsibilities. Of course little children have a different opinion. They resent the way they are not allowed to do all the "fun stuff" because they are too small. I can sympathize with this, and therefore today I have a review of a book that was written for little children who are forced to hear the words "you are too small" over and over again. 

Louise Yates
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Random House, 2009, 978-0-375-85698-3
One day a little rabbit, who is out in the world on his own, comes to a circus. He sees a sign that explains that there are jobs available at the circus but “small animals need not apply.” Though he is definitely a small animal, the rabbit goes into the big circus tent anyway.
   Inside he meets a large gorilla, a tall giraffe, a hefty rhino, a big lion, a long snake, and a bear. The rabbit admits that he is small. He admits that he is too small to wipe his own nose, to tie his shoes, to walk far without getting tired, and to eat his food without making a mess. However, there are things that small animals are very good at doing.
   When you are young, and small, grownups are always telling you that you are too little to do practically everything that is really worthwhile doing, and it is very annoying. This book was specifically written for little children who are forced to experience this exasperating adult behavior. With its minimal text and its deliciously funny illustrations, this book is a perfect fit for little children because it reminds them that there are things that are best done by small people. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share