Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and ninety-six

Most of us have something in our lives that we are passionate about. I have always been a bibliophile, and like the little girl in today's picture book, I used to spend many hours reading at home or at the library. Luckily my love of books was balanced by my fondness for outdoor games, play dates, and other activities. This is not the case with Lily, as you will see. Lily thinks that reading books is the only worthwhile pastime. 
Library Lily

Gillian Shields
Illustrated by Francesca Chessa
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Eerdmans, 2011, 978-0-8028-5401-8
   Once Lily learns how to read there is no stopping her. She reads all the time and “she couldn’t stop.” Lily reads at night under her bed covers, she reads when she is supposed to be eating her dinner. She reads so much that she does not notice the seasons unfolding outside, and she never plays or does the kinds of things other children do.
  One day Lily’s mother takes her to the park and she encourages Lily to try to “have an adventure.” Lily cannot imagine how one can have an adventure if one is not reading a book. Then Lily meets a little girl called Milly, and Lily is shocked to find out that Milly hates to read! Instead, Milly likes to play, climb, and explore. Milly invites Lily to climb the tree that she is in and Lily discovers that “There’s a whole world out there.” Who knew!
   In this wonderful picture book, we meet two very different little girls who, through their friendship, share their passions with each other. By becoming friends, they find out that the world is an incredibly rich place full of adventures that you can enjoy within the covers of a book, and outside in the real world.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share