Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and ninety-eight

It is not easy to teach a child how to problem-solve. Often children expect their grownups to fix everything for them, to make bad things go away, and to make things goods easy to acquire. In today's picture book you will meet a little girl who takes the initiative, and who figures out how to solve a problem that is very dear to her heart.

Helga Bansch
Picture Book
I Want a Dog!For ages 5 to 7
NorthSouth, 2009, 978-0-7358-2255-9
   Lisa loves dogs, all kinds of dogs, and more than anything else in the world she wants a dog of her own. The problem is that her parents feel that their apartment “is too small for a dog.” People give Lisa toys that have a dog theme, trying to satisfy her need for a pet, but these gifts, though well meant, really don’t fill that doggy shaped hole in Lisa’s heart.
   Lisa tries being really really good in the hope that her parents will reward her with a dog, of course. But they don’t. Then she tries to be bad, but that does not work either. Finally Lisa realizes that she is going to have to think outside the box to solve her problem.
   In this delightful and sweetly funny picture book, children will meet a little girl who knows what she wants, and who uses her head to get what she wants. Children will be delighted when they see what Lisa does, and they will appreciate how she figured it out all by herself. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share