Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and ninety-three

Bedtime rituals are very important to little children, and they often get very upset if we try to change the way things are done. They need that soothing lullaby, the story time, and the kisses and hugs before the light goes out. Of course, there are those times when the they don't feel like going to sleep, and that is when the bedtime rituals become a way in which to postpone bedtime as long as possible. Countless times I was subjected to the ever popular bedtime ploy of lets-trick-Mama-into-reading-me-five-books-instead-of-two.

In today's picture book you will meet a little hippo who is a master when it comes to avoiding bedtime.

Marcus Pfister
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
NorthSouth, 2008, 978-0-7358-2313-6
   It is time for Bertie, the little hippo, to go to bed. Just like so many other little children, Bertie would much rather play than get ready for bed. His father promises that they will play together after dinner and after Bertie has brushed his teeth, which they do.
   After playing a rousing game of catch, Bertie has his bath and then he and his father play hide-and-seek. Daddy then tells Bertie that it is time for bed, but Bertie reminds his parent that first it is story time. After sharing three stories, Bertie and Daddy have to have a little dance. After this, Bertie has a drink, and then he goes to the potty. Even after all this activity, Bertie is not tired, and he wants Daddy to sing him a song. Poor Daddy, on the other hand, is getting quite worn out.
   Adults who have young children in their lives are sure to recognize many of the scenes in this charming picture book. Children all over the world find creative ways to draw out their bedtime as long as possible, just as Bertie does.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share