Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and eighty-nine

Most of us, at one time or another, wish we had superpowers. How much easier life would be if we could do our chores at warp speed, and therefore have time to do all the fun stuff that we want to do. How much easier travel would be if we could fly, and wouldn't it be cool if we could climb the walls like Spiderman?

In today's picture book you will met a duck who likes to pretend that he is a superhero. Though the duck has the heart of a superhero, he does not have the powers that make superheros successful in their endeavors. This singular lack of superhero abilities does not deter the duck though, as you will see. 

Super DuckJez Alborough
Picture book
For ages 5 to 7
Kane/Miller, 2009, 978-1-933605-89-0
  One day Frog and Sheep come to Goat’s house, but they cannot find him. Then Goat calls out from his shed and he shows his friends the colorful kite he has made. Eagerly the three friends head out to try the kite. Who can throw the kite “really high” Goat wonders.
   Which is when Duck, or rather Super Duck, arrives on the scene. Duck throws the kite as hard as he can, but the kite soon comes back to earth. Next, Duck tries running and pulling the kite to get it up into the air. This does not work either. Even attaching the kite to Duck’s truck does not have the desired effect. What can the three friends do to get Goat’s kite to do what kites are supposed to do?
   Children will find it hard not to laugh out loud when they see what Duck, and his long suffering friends, get up to in this amusing picture book. Pairing clever rhymes with his delightfully expressive and funny illustrations, Jez Alborough gives children a picture book that all superhero fans will appreciate. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share