Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and eighty-six

I have noticed that many parents, though they dote on their children, sometimes fail to realize that their children are trying to tell them something. The child says something, and the parent answers with a distracted "yes honey." It is obvious to anyone who is watching, including the child, that the parent did not take in a word.

In today's picture book you will meet a baby who has a lot to say, and the members of his family who don't realize that what he is saying makes sense. A lot of sense.

April Stevens
Illustrated by Sophie Blackall
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Random House, 2011, 978-0-375-85337-1
   Tomorrow is baby Edwin’s birthday, and his mother needs to go to the grocery store to buy a few things, including the sugar that she needs so that she can bake Edwin’s birthday cake.
   The outing begins with Mrs. Finnemore discovering that she cannot find her keys. “Gloo poop SHOE noogie froo KEY” baby Edwin says in his own brand of baby ferret language. Even though his mother doesn’t listen to him, Mrs. Fennimore does eventually manage to find the car keys, which are inside her son’s shoe.
   When you have five children, loading up the car to go to the grocery store can be rather chaotic, and Mrs. Fennimore is so busy getting Edwin into his car seat, and getting the other children to cooperate, that she ends up driving to the store with her pocketbook on the roof of the car. Edwin did say “Figbutton noo noo POCKY BOOKY froppin ROOF,” but as usual no one listens. If they did, they would know that the “Pocky Booky” is on the roof of the car.
   In this clever and wonderfully funny picture book, children will meet a family of ferrets who youngest member seems to be more aware than anyone else of what is going on around him. For all those people who think that little children have nothing useful to say, take heed. They probably know a lot more than you give them credit for.
   With delightfully quirky illustrations and a memorable tale that has a perfect ending, this picture book is sure to become a family favorite. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share