Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, October 14, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and eighty-seven

Like so many other people in our fast-paced world, I often find myself running around at a furious pace, trying to keep up with all the things that I have to do. Aside from the fact that this way of life is stressful, and therefore unhealthy, it is also a way of life that encourages one to be unaware of what is going on around you. You are going so fast that you don't realize that your actions are impacting others, sometimes in negative ways.

In today's picture book you will meet a beaver who lives his life at such a frenetic pace that he makes his neighbor's lives very difficult. 

Nicholas Oldland
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 8
Kids Can Press, 2011, 978-1-55453-749-5
Beaver is always busy. In fact he is so busy that he does not pay attention to what he is doing. He does not “always think things through.” As a result, his dams leak, he makes a mess wherever he goes, he leaves trees half-chewed, and sometimes he chews down more trees than he needs.
   One day beaver is so careless that he chews a tree that has a bird’s nest in it, and does not notice that the tree is “falling in his direction.” When he comes to, beaver is in hospital with a formidable number of injuries. For the first time in his life beaver has to lie still and take it easy.
   After many days of resting and healing, beaver is able to get up and look out of his hospital window. What he sees makes him realize that he has caused a great deal of destruction and trouble in the forest. He did not mean to cause harm and now he has to do something to make up for his mistakes.
   Sometimes we get on a roll and we plough through life without realizing that we are leaving a wake of destruction in our wake. This picture book addresses this issue with humor and sensitivity. Through beaver’s eyes we see that sometimes it is better to take our time than to rush rush rush.
   With delightful illustrations and a meaningful message, this picture book will resonate with readers of all ages.


No comments:

Bookmark and Share