Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book two hundred and seventy-five

When we first brought home Pinot from the dog shelter he was very small indeed. He was also fearful and unsure of himself. Everything frightened the puppy, even the cats. My daughter, who fell in love with him in seconds, wanted to play with him, but she had to learn how to play with him so that he didn't frightened. She also had to convince him that she was not out to harm him in any way.

In today's picture book you will meet a sweet dog who has to learn a similar lesson. 

John Himmelman
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Henry Holt, 2008, 978-0-8050-8682-9
   Katie the dog is so excited because her person, Sara Ann, has brought home three little kittens. Katie loves the new arrivals so much that she starts to howl with joy. The problem is that the loud noise terrifies the kittens and they run away. Sara Ann tells Katie that she should stay away from the kittens until they get used to her, which saddens Katie because she wants to play with the kittens so much
   Katie tries to stay away from the kittens, but this turns out to be very hard to do. Try as she might, Katie cannot resist the sweet little furry babies, and every time she gets near them she howls and terrifies them.
   In this delightful picture book readers will meet a loveable canine who has an unusual problem. The laugh-out-loud funny illustrations perfectly capture Katie’s personality, and readers of all ages will appreciate how hard it is for Katie to restrain her kitten loving exuberance. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share