Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Poetry Friday - A review of Punctuation Celebration

When I was a child, I thought that punctuation was a waste of time. I created enormous sentences that went on and on and on. Finally, my father took me in hand and he explained why at least some punctuation was a good idea. Today's poetry book contains humorous poems that will help children to better understand how to use commonly used forms of punctuation.

Punctuation CelebrationPunctuation Celebration
Elsa Knight Bruno
Illustrated by Jenny Whitehead
Poetry Picture Book
For ages 6 to 8
Henry Holt, 2009, 978-0-8050-7973-9
   You are invited to a special event that is taking place in just a moment or two. The event is a “sporty exploration / Into words and punctuation.” During the event, you are going to meet all the forms of punctuation that people commonly use. Perhaps you are wondering why you need to make the acquaintance of the period, the comma, the colon, the question mark, and some of their friends. Well, the reason is quite simple. If you get to know them, then you will be able to mix words and punctuation with ease, creating stories, reports, and who knows what else.
   Let’s begin with probably the easiest form of punctuation, the period. It is easy to use it because wherever a sentence ends, the period “comes and plops, / and where is plops, the sentence STOPS.” Periods are also used to abbreviate things when you don’t feel like spelling out street, dozen, or pound.
   Next, there is that form of punctuation that looks so wonderful. The question mark is easy to place. All you have to do is to put it “after words that ask.”
   In this very clever poetry picture book, the author helps young readers and writers to understand when to use twelve different forms of punctuation. Each form of punctuation has a poem that explains how and when it should be used, and on the facing page, another little poem demonstrates how it is used in a piece of writing.
   With lashings of clever humor, the author makes what could be a dry subject very accessible and entertaining. Jenny Whitehead’s multimedia illustrations compliment the poems, adding color, pizzazz, and visual interest to the pages.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share