Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, May 2, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and twenty-two

When my daughter was little she was a warbler, singing and humming little tunes all day long. Even now, at the great age of almost eleven, she hums her herself as she goes about her day. Often she does not even realize that she is doing it. 

Today's book is for all all those little warblers who love to sing.
Anna Walker
Picture Book
For ages 2 to 5
Simon and Schuster, 2011, 978-4169-8322-4
   Ollie loves to sing, wherever he is. He sings when he gets up in the morning, while he has his breakfast, in rain or shine. Sometimes he sings with his brother “just for fun.” His brother covers his ears, but Ollie doesn’t mind. Ollie even takes his songs outside into the park where he sings with the ducks and his dog Fred “who loves to bark.” Throughout the day Ollie sings his little tunes, until night falls and it is bedtime. Propped up in bed with a book and a stuffed animal, Ollie sings a “happy song for me and Fred.”
   Ollie the little zebra is the kind of book character that little children will fall in love with. This story is typical of  this series with its simplicity, its gently rhyming text, and its delightfully minimal colored ink illustrations.

1 comment:

Annalisa said...

i'm a warbler, lalala! i'm getting this book for my son who wants to be a rockstar when he grows up. thank you for the review!

Bookmark and Share