Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and twenty-five

I grew up on the other side of the world from where I live now, literally, which means that I am far away from the people that I grew up with. At times this bothers me because the people I know here do not know my story. We do not have those shared memories. Over time, we will build new ones I am sure.

Today's picture book is about two children who are the best of friends and who are deeply upset when one of them moves far away.

Libby Gleeson
Illustrated by Freya Blackwood
Picture Book
For ages
Scholastic, 2006, 978-0-439-88977-3
   Amy and Louie are the best of friends. Together they have “dug holes deep enough to bury bears,” and they have seen “magical creatures in the clouds.” Every time Amy wants Louis to join her in a game, she calls out to him using her special call. “Coo-ee, Lou-ee!” she says, and Louie always comes over to join her. Similarly, when Louie would like Amy to share in his game, he calls out “Coo-ee, Am-ee!” and the little girl is soon at this side.
   Then one day Amy moves away “to the other side of the world,” and poor Louie doesn’t feel like doing any of the things that he used to do with Amy. Far apart, the two friends think about each other, “Every night and every day.” The two children are so far apart that when Louie is awake, Amy is asleep. If Louie calls Amy really loudly she will not hear him because he is so far away and because she is asleep in her bed. Or maybe not.
   In this beautifully illustrated picture book, Libby Gleeson explores the nature of friendship, and she celebrates the magical connection that a pair of children share. Freya Blackwood’s beautifully atmospheric illustrations compliment the text perfectly, capturing the warmth of the children’s friendship and the special relationship that unites them, even when they are many many miles apart.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share