Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and thirty-four

I am delighted to tell you that Babymouse, the mouse who cannot seem to get anything right, is back! As per usual, Babymouse gets herself into all kinds of ridiculous situations, but for a change things somehow come out all right in the end. Oh, and you will meet a new character who will soon be making a name for himself in the graphic novel world. 

Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm
Graphic Novel
For ages 7 to 10
Random House, 2011, 978-0-375-86574-9
   There is a new science teacher in Babymouse’s school, one who is hopeful that he and his students will follow in the footsteps of “great scientists throughout the ages.” Unfortunately, Babymouse has problem focusing in class, and she ends up sitting outside the principal’s office again. That evening, her father gives her a flyer about a science fair. Apparently he has always wanted to be a scientist, and he hopes that perhaps Babymouse can be the “first scientist in the family.”
   Babymouse is eager to participate in the science fair, but she is not sure what she can do for the event. Can she invent or discover something? Perhaps she could make a great discovery, like Galileo did.
   Babymouse is not very thrilled when her science teacher announces that they are going to be growing mold for their first experiment. Mold? That doesn’t sound very interesting at all. Babymouse does what the teacher tells her, and after several days a little patch of mold finally grows on her slice of bread. And yes, it is not very interesting.
   Then Babymouse’s father gets her a microscope so that she can study amoebas for her science fair project. The amazing thing is that the amoeba that Babymouse brings home from the pond is not at all what she expected.
   Budding young scientists, cupcake fiends, and Babymouse fans are sure to enjoy this delightful Babymouse story. Though Babymouse’s science fair experience does not make her famous, it does turn out to be a rewarding experience, and we have a grand time sharing in her adventure. Readers will be delighted to find out that the new character who is introduced in this book will soon appear on the graphic novel stage with a graphic novel series of his own.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share