Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, May 6, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and twenty-six

I consider myself to be lucky because my daughter is very musical. She chose to play the piano when she was five, and then she chose to learn how to play the violin when she was seven. Now we play little duets together.

In today's picture book you will meet a little boy who is forced to play the piano, even though he really does not like the instrument. Thankfully there is a happy ending to this particular musical tale.

Piano PianoPiano Piano
Davide Cali
IllustratedPiano Piano by Eric Heliot
Picture book
For ages 5 to 7
Charlesbridge, 2007, 978-1-58089-191-2
   Every day at 3:00, except on Fridays, Marcolino sits in front of the piano and he practices his scales. By 3:13 Marcolino has had enough, and he switches on the TV to watch cartoons, which is when his mother comes in and tells him to “Get back to the piano now!” Marcolino hates to practice the piano, but he does it to please his mother. She wanted to be a “grand pianist,” and now she wants Marcolino to practice so that he can be a “grand pianist.” The problem is that Marcolino does not want to be a grand pianist at all.
   On Fridays, Marcolino’s grandfather takes him to the science museum, and on this Friday Grandpa asks Marcolino why he likes going to the same museum week after week. Marcolino explains the museum is better than being at home because at home he has to practice so that he can become a “grand pianist.” Marcolino explains that he has to fulfill his mother’s dream, which is when Grandpa decides that he needs to set the record straight once and for all.
   This picture book is the kind of title that speaks to both children and adults. Young readers will love the way Marcolino’s piano problem is solved, and parents will receive a gentle reminder of the danger of forcing their children to do something that they really hate doing. Wonderfully quirky multimedia illustrations compliment the meaningful and often amusing story.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share