Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and forty-nine

Taking care of a baby, when you are new to babies and their needs, can be quite a challenge. Somehow, one always seems to be trying to figure out what needs to be done next. In this picture book, a family faces the challenge of having to take care of a HUGE baby, and as bystanders, we can enjoy a good laugh at the problems they face. For a family who have a new baby, this book is a must. 

The Wicked Big ToddlahKevin Hawkes
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Random House, 2007, 978-0-375-82427-2
   When the new baby arrives, it is soon very clear that he is not like most babies. He is enormous, and after Uncle Bert says, “That’s a wicked big toddlah ya got theyah,” everyone starts to call the baby Toddie. Toddie is so big that his family members need to tie him to the flat bed of a truck so that they can take him home from the hospital.
  Not surprisingly, taking care of such an enormous baby is a huge task. Changing his diaper is excruciating. When he is able to sit up, the family are at least able to bathe him in the ocean, though they are not happy when he lifts fishing boats out of the water.
   The older Toddie gets, the more challenging it is to care for him. When the family goes camping, he plays with a live moose and a bear. During blueberry picking season, he eats blueberries by the bucketful. He is so big that his greeting terrifies the family members who come over for Thanksgiving.
   In this delightfully funny picture book, we meet a family who are blessed with a baby who is bigger than a house. Readers can sense how much Toddie is loved, and how much of a challenge he is at the same time. Though Toddie is so huge, his needs are much like those of any small child. Child will laugh out loud when they see the tricky situations Toddie and his family get into.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share