Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and twenty-four

In my family, so many celebrations are associated with feasts and food. Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without the cake, and the Fourth of July would feel all wrong if we didn't cook something delicious on the grill. In today's story, a girl and her family are preparing a special meal in honor of her grandparents, and things are not going as planned.

Sara Laux Akin
Illustrated by Susan Kathleen Hartung
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Peachtree Publishers, 2010, 978-1-56145-522-5
   Sofia’s grandparents are coming over today, and Sofia’s father is cooking up a storm in the kitchen of his restaurant. Sofia is eager to help cook, but when she pushes the button of the blender (without putting the top on the machine) everything in the kitchen gets splattered with tomato sauce. Sofia’s father tells her that she is just too little to help.
   Later Sofia smells bread baking, and when she goes into the kitchen, she sees that mama is putting some breadsticks into the oven. Once again, Sofia wants to help, and once again something goes terribly wrong. Then, when Sofia tries to help her brother make pizza, she manages to get her dough on the ceiling fan! Poor Sofia wants so much to contribute to the celebration. Is there anything that she do that won’t go horribly wrong?
   In this simple yet warming picture book, the author celebrates the food traditions and close ties that family members share, and she shows young readers how their own creativity can make their wishes come true.
   Kathleen Hartung’s expressive illustrations beautifully capture the close family ties that run like threads through the story.
   

No comments:

Bookmark and Share