Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Poetry Friday: A review of Commotion in the Ocean

Happy Friday! Today I have a poetry title for you that is a little unusual because it is a board book. There are plenty of board picture books out there that are written in rhyme, but not many poetry collections in board book form. With its sturdy board pages, bright illustrations, and amusing characters, this book provides little children with an amusing poetry experience.

Commotion in the OceanCommotion in the Ocean
Giles Andreae
Illustrated by David Wojtowycz
Poetry Board Book
For ages 3 to 5
Tiger Tales, 2001, 978-1-58925-863-1
   The ocean is a very busy place, a place where there is a “curious commotion.” In fact, it is so curious that we are going to take a visit under the waves to meet some of the creatures that live there.
   Here are some dolphins who have a very unique way of communicating. Instead of speaking and say “How do you do?” that make noises that to our ears sound like “Click-whistle-squeak.” Then there is the angelfish, a fish that thinks it is the “prettiest thing in the sea,” and the shark that swims through the water with a grin on its face, it jaws open to reveal its long sharp teeth. “Why don’t you come a bit closer?” it asks, and “take a good look inside?”
   Near an old wrecked ship, a pair of stingrays swim by, flapping their “wings.” We are warned not too go to close to these creatures because their tails really can sting. We shouldn’t go too near a pair of lobsters either because with a “clippety-clap” and a “snippety-snap” the lobsters can snip our fingers “in two.”
   Young children are sure to enjoy the eighteen amusing poems in this colorful board book. They will meet creatures that are familiar, like sharks and turtles, and some that may be new to them, like stingrays and barnacles. Big and small, fierce and benign, these often smiling (sometimes toothy) creatures are sure to capture the interest of little children.

1 comment:

tiger tales said...

Thanks for the positive review, Marya! Poems shouldn't be limited to any special format. Poetry is everywhere, and published in many formats. Why not in board books for kids?

Happy reading!
Elisabeth Prial
tiger tales

Bookmark and Share