Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and eighty-one

Children are used to being told that if they are bad, they will be punished in some way. In today's picture book, the main characters, a pair of young wolf cubs, are encouraged to be bad and they are told off when they are good . Children will love the fact that in this book at least, being bad is a good thing.


Ian Whybrow
Illustrated by Tony Ross
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Lerner, 2005, 978-1-57505-5-861-0
   In a far away place, a family of wolves lives in a smelly lair. Mom Wolf and Dad Wolf are very good at being “BIG and BAD” and they are determined that their children, Little Wolf and Smellybreff, should follow in their paw prints.
   To help their children to attain a proper degree of big and bad behavior, Mom and Dad Wolf teach their cubs nursery rhymes that encourage them to play with their food, to make rude noises, and to talk when their mouths were full. Smellybreff has no problem being bad, but his big brother sometimes does good things by accident.
   One day Mom and Dad Wolf decide to teach their children more “about Badness,” and they take them to town so that they can demonstrate how it should be done. Dad Wolf scares off a crew of workers who are fixing a bridge and makes a real nuisance of himself. Little Wolf does try to be bad, but his effort is rather lukewarm. His little brother Smellybreff does a stellar job; he manages to make a hole in the bridge!
   Next, the Wolf family goes to the cafĂ©, and they proceed to cause as much chaos as possible. The problem is that they go a little too far, and their efforts to teach their children how to be bad backfire in an unfortunate and rather painful way.
   Young children are sure to be amused by this picture book with its wolf characters who try so hard to be bad. The illustrations are funny, and the message is one that children are sure to find surprising. There really is a point when being bad actually ceases to be fun!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share