Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: One hundred and sixty

Many years ago, when I was teaching in a school program, I had a little student who was incredibly shy. During recess she played house behind a big tree, and in the classroom she found a little corner to hide herself in. When she wanted to talk to me she would tug on my shirt, and when I bent down to her level she would whisper in my ear. The character in today's picture book reminds me a lot of my little student. Both the little girls are shy and quiet, and both are longing to find a way to make their voices heard.

Willow's WhispersWillow’s Whispers
Lana Button
Illustrated by Tania Howells
Picture book
For ages 4 to 7
Kids Can Press, 2010, 978-1-55453-280-3
   Willow has a problem. She is has a very small voice that is so soft that everything she says comes out as a whisper. When children invite Willow to sit at their table with them, they cannot hear her tiny “I’d love to,” and assume that she wants to sit alone. When her teacher, Mrs. Post, asks her if she wants apple or orange juice, Willow tells her that she wants apple, but because Mrs. Post cannot hear what Willow is saying she gives her orange instead.
   The only person who is able to hear Willow and who understands that her “big, strong voice” is stuck somewhere inside her is her father. He does his best to comfort her, and tells her that one day her voice “will wiggle its way out.” The problem is that Willow needs that big voice now. How is she going to get it to come out?
   There are many children who have a small voice that refuses to speak out, and it is a very difficult problem to deal with. In this inspirational picture book, Lana Button’s story will help children to see that they can find a solution to their problem. All they have to do is to be creative and have faith in themselves. Throughout the book, the text is beautifully complimented by Tania Howell’s minimal art. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share