Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and sixty-nine

When my daughter was very little she decided that she wanted an elephant birthday paty. She was going to invite elephants to her party, and then all the children would ride on the elephants "all day long." Needless to say, this elephant party did not take place. There was a clown instead. This did not stop her from deciding the following year that she would have her party on a train.

In today's picture book you will meet a little girl who, like so many young children (including my own) have fabulous birthday party plans.


Jennifer LaRue Huget
Illustrate by LeUyen Pham
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 7
Random House, 2011, 978-0-375-84763-9
   In just five months, three weeks, two days, and eight hours a little girl will be celebrating her birthday, and she is very very keen to start planning her party. She is determined that “it is going to be the best birthday party ever.” She is going to make her own invitations and she is going to invite fifty-seven friends as well as sundry other people.
   On D minus four months, two weeks, five days, and seven hours, the little girl announces that she is going to have nine thousand pink balloons at her party, and everyone will have bowls of ice cream (seven scoops) and all the toppings that they could ever want.
   The closer her birthday gets, the more outrageous this little girl’s plans become. She wants a cake that is the tallest cake in the world. She wants to have two magicians and all the girl guests will get to wear “a real tiara.” The little girl decides that each child will get a hamster as a party favor. There will be a castle with a moat, camels and pony rides. She expects to gets congratulatory letters from the President of the United States and the Queen of England. There will be flybys, a parade, and fireworks. How is this little girl going to cope when she finds out that she is not going to get the grand party that she is concocting in her imagination?
   Little children who have GRAND plans for their birthday parties will really appreciate this amusing picture book. Grownups will laugh out loud as the little girl’s plans get more and more elaborate, and everyone is sure to be amused by the clever ending. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share