Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, June 10, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: One hundred and sixty-one

We had a pet pig living in our house for several years. Gracie was a miniature Vietnamese potbelly and she was both intelligent and lovable. Though Gracie was much smaller than the average farm pig, she was still very strong and she could do a lot of damage when she chose to. In today's picture book you will meet a lady who has a pet pig who becomes just too enormous to keep in her house, and she has to figure out what she is going to do to house her very large pet. 

Deborah Underwood
Illustrated by Scott Magoon
Picture book
For ages 5 to 7
Hyperion, 2010, 978-078685216-1
   Granny Gomez has a lovely home and hobbies she enjoys. The only thing that she is missing is some companionship. She decides that perhaps what she needs is a pet cat or dog. Granny’s friend William agrees that a cat or dog would be nice, but they are “not very special.”
   The very next day, Granny finds a basket on her front porch, and in it there is a baby pig. Granny is not too keen on the pig at first, but after she decides to keep him (save him from being eaten) she grows very fond of him.
   Soon Jigsaw the pig is living in her house, and he is an excellent companion. The problem is that he is also a growing companion. Eventually Jigsaw gets so big that Granny has no choice but to build a barn for him, which she does. In fact, the barn she builds is “as nice as Granny’s house.” Jigsaw is happily settled, which is wonderful, but Granny still has one problem to solve.
   In this charming picture book, we meet two characters who form a very special bond of friendship. Children will enjoy seeing how Granny copes with the problems associated with having a pet pig, and they will love the unusual but perfect ending. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share