Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and fifty-eight

Hugs are one of those things that can bring a little sunshine into a grey day, and I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that the people who live in Ashland, my home of almost four years, are very huggy. It is always interesting to see visitors or new arrivals experiencing this phenomena. Some look puzzled, some are not sure how to respond, and some are a little prickly, just like the porcupine in this story.

How Do You Hug a Porcupine?How do you hug a porcupine?
Lauren Isop
Illustrated by Gwen Millward
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Simon and Schuster, 2011, 978-1-4424-1291-0
   There are lots of ways we can show our affection for others, but one of the best ways is to give them a hug. This is especially true when we want to show animals how much we love them. They cannot, alas, understand what we are saying when we talk to them, but they surely must understand what a hug means.
   Most animals are easy to hug, even big ones like horses and cows. Cats and dogs are very easy to hug because they can be picked up. Bunnies are even easier. It might be challenging to hug a giraffe or an elephant, but it can be done. You need to be a little careful when you hug a hedgehog, but that too can be achieved if you are cautious. You probably can even figure out how to hug an ostrich. There is one animal though that is not easy to hug at all and this is a porcupine. With all those long spines, a porcupine is quite a challenge. The thing is, under all those spines a porcupine is just as deserving of a hug as all the animals that are “soft and furry.”
   With its rhyming text and its amusing art, the story explores the idea that everyone deserves a hug. At times it might be a challenge to give someone a hug, but it can be done if you are creative. And careful.
   

No comments:

Bookmark and Share