Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, June 17, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and sixty-eight

When I was growing up I was sure that I would choose a job and that I would then do that job for the rest of my life. That was what most of the people I knew did. Nowadays it is hard to find anyone who stays in one job of work long. People change their minds about what they want to do, businesses go under and employees have to adapt to the market.

In today's picture book you will meet a fairy who encounters technical problems with her wand, and as a result she has to consider changing her job. The story is funny, and it will resonate with anyone who has had to make a drastic life change.


Margie Palatini
Illustrated by Brian Ajhar
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Scholastic, 2009, 978-0-439-72768-6
One day Bernice Sparklestein, “once the best Fairy Godmother in the entire universe and beyond,” is having tea with her friend Edith. B. Cuspid - Tooth Fairy Second Class - when she tells Edith that she is in trouble. She has lost her ability to cast successful spells. There is no doubt about it either. Bernice is having a “bad wand day.” Edith is determined to do what she can to help her friend, and the two fairies go to Edith’s house because Edith has a large collection of fairy outfits. Maybe they can find something that will suit Bernice.
   Bernice tries on a Fairy Dusting outfit, but it soon becomes clear that she is allergic to fairy dust. She likes the look of the Snow Fairy costume but she finds the work too cold. The Sugarplum outfit doesn’t work either and poor Bernice is feeling very upset. “What does a Fairy Godmother do when her wand is really gone?”
   Children are sure to love this extremely funny story about a Fairy Godmother who needs a new line of work. With comical illustrations and delightful characters, this is a story even non-fairy fans will find enjoyable. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share