Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and thirty-eight

I don't know if any of you have seen what happens when an animal gets loose in a place where animals are not welcome. I once saw a cat get out of a carrier in an airport, and I was amazed to see how much chaos this one small animal managed to cause in a relatively short period of time.

In today's picture book, you will see what happens when a pet mouse pays an unwelcome visit to a very posh hotel.

Pip in the Grand Hotel
Pip in the grand Hotel
Johannes Hucke
Illustrated by Daniel Muller
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
NorthSouth, 2009, 978-0-7358-2225-2
   Mary has a new pet mouse who is called Pip, and she is eager to introduce him to her friends. Unfortunately, when she open the box that Pip lives in, the little gray mouse hops out and dashes towards the doors of the Grand Hotel. The doorman is convinced that Pip could not have got by him, but it soon becomes clear that he is wrong.
   In the main lobby of the hotel, the children see all kinds of people, many of whom clearly come from distant places. The hotel manager is appalled when Mary explains that she is looking for her pet mouse. As for as he is concerned having a mouse in his elegant and posh hotel is a “Disaster!” Then one of Mary’s friends sees Pip running along one of the steps in the lobby, and soon the children (and the hotel manager) are following him into the hotel kitchen.
   The kitchen is packed with people who are all busy doing something. Kitchen assistants are chopping and prepping food, chefs are tasting food, and through this scene of organized chaos runs Pip, the children, and the hotel manager.
   Children are going to love this large format picture book with its wonderfully detailed illustrations. They will enjoy trying to find Pip hiding in the art, and will appreciate how everything works out in the end, especially when they see how Mary and her friends get the better of the fussy hotel manager.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share