Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and sixty-one

Many children spend most of their lives disconnected from nature. They live in concrete jungles where there are very few trees to climb, or patches of grass to roll in. I am convinced that it is very important for children to be able to spend time in a natural setting where there is earth to dig in and insects to watch. Being able to connect with nature lifts children's spirits and helps them to feel grounded.

Today's picture book looks at the adventures that one little girl has as she explores a meadow. These are not big and grand adventures. Instead, they are little adventures that are nevertheless very precious.


In the Meadow In the meadow
Yukiko Kato
Illustrated by Kamako Sakai
Translated by Yuki Kaneko
Picture book
For ages 4 to 6
Enchanted Lion, 2011, 978-1-59270-108-7
   Yu-chan and her parents are playing on the beach by the river. The little girl’s father invites her to join him and Yu-chan’s brother as they paddle in the water, but Yu-chan is distracted by a butterfly that is sitting on a stone nearby. Charmed by the butterfly’s “beautiful orange wings with teeny black dots,” Yu-chan follows the butterfly when is flies into a meadow.
   Yu-chan follows the butterfly, pushing through fragrant plants and through grass that tickles her legs. Surrounded by the tall grass, Yu-chan feels as if she is in the middle of a  “green sea.” Even when she can no longer see the butterfly, Yu-chan finds other things to marvel at, until she realizes that she does not know where she is.
   This is the first title in a new Being in the World series, a collection of books from Japan that explore the ways in which children interact with nature. The narrative is simple and magical, and children and grownups alike will be charmed by Yu-chan’s little adventure. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share