Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and sixty-two

Finding the perfect gift for someone you love can be very challenging sometimes. We look in shops and catalogs for that perfect something, never considering that the best gift of all might be right under our noses.

In today's picture book, the author shows to great effect that gifts that have a personal touch are the ones that mean the most.

The Perfect GiftThe perfect gift
Mary Newell DePalma
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Scholastic, 2010, 978-0-545-15402-4
One day Lori the lorikeet finds a strawberry, and she decides to take it to her grandma. The problem is that the lorikeet is very little, and the strawberry is very big. When Lori stops to rest and puts the strawberry on the ground, the berry rolls, hops, and falls into the river, where is sinks to the bottom. Poor Lori is heartbroken.
   A chipmunk hears Lori crying, and when Lori tells her what has happened, the chipmunk offers to help the little bird retrieve the strawberry. Unfortunately, chipmunks aren’t very good at diving deep. Goose comes along and she tries to get the berry too, but just like chipmunk, she cannot reach the berry. Then frog comes along, and being a superb swimmer, he is able to get the strawberry. The frog and his new friends are celebrating when a big toothy crocodile decides that the lorikeet, goose, chipmunk, and frog would make a nice tasty snack.
   In this clever picture book, children will see how some friends are able to turn a loss into a success. Children will enjoy all those “Oh no!” moments, and they will be delighted when they see how this story ends.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share