Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book three hundred and sixty-five

Well friends, this is the last day of the TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration. For 365 days I have posted a picture book review, and it has been a wonderful journey. I wanted to wrap up the celebration with something special. I looked and looked and looked until I found Varmints, a picture book whose story moved me, and whose art charmed me. The illustrator has created a little film of the tale that you might like to watch.

Varmints
Helen Ward
Illustrated by Marc Craste
Picture book
For ages 8 and up
Candlewick Press, 2008, 0763637963
   There once was a time when the world was full of beauty and light. The only sounds were “the bees, the whispering wind in the wiry grass…and the song of birds in the high blue sky.” A few beings enjoyed this world, listening to the gentle sounds and appreciating what they had.
   Then others came, and they build huge ugly buildings that blotted out the sky. This new world was so noisy that the sounds of birdsong and grass rustling were drowned out. More and more others came until everything was so noisy that “no one could hear themselves think!”
   Somewhere, high above the streets there was one of the few who carefully took care of “a little piece of wilderness.” He waited until he knew that the time had come, and then he took his precious pot of plants to a special place and left it there hoping that somehow his precious gift would bring about change, and that one day the noise would end and he would be able to hear the birds and the wind.
  This extraordinary picture book will remind readers of all ages that we cannot take our world for granted. We cannot assume that our natural heritage will last forever if we do not protect it from creatures like the others in this story. With a loveable main character who looks a bit like a rabbit, a storyboard that has the feel of a film or movie, and gorgeous atmospheric illustrations throughout, this is a book that everyone should read. And remember. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share