Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, September 5, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and forty-eight

For today's picture book I have a graphic novel that is outrageously funny and enormously entertaining. Best of all, there are more titles in this series to enjoy. I won't tell you anything more about this book because I don't want to give too much away.

Jarrett J. Krosoczka
Graphic Novel
For ages 7 to 10
Random House, 2009, 978-0-375-84683-0
   One day, during breakfast at school, Hector, Terrence, and Dee wonder what their school lunch lady does when she is not working in the school kitchen. Then Milmoe, the school bully, comes over and starts trying the shake the children down for their lunch money. Milmoe’s threats and intimidation are brought to an abrupt end when Mr. Pasteur, the new substitute teacher, turns up.
   After Mr. Pasteur leaves the lunch room, Lunch Lady and her friend Betty (who is another lunch lady) have a little chat. Lunch Lady has a feeling that something is not quite right about Mr. Pasteur and his presence in the school. Mr. O’Connell, the math teacher Mr. Pasteur is replacing, hasn’t been sick in twenty years. Why is he sick today? Also, Lunch Lady cannot help feeling that Mr. Pasteur’s name is somehow familiar.
   Soon Lunch Lady and Betty are in their secret laboratory in the Boiler Room. What no one knows is that Lunch Lady and Betty not only serve lunch at the school, they also do their best to keep the peace in their town by foiling the dastardly plans of villains.
   Betty the gadget making wiz and Lunch Lady use their spy cameras around the school to see what the teachers are up to. When Mr. Pasteur goes to the teacher’s lounge, Lunch Lady does a little snooping in his classroom, and what she finds is rather odd.
   When Mr. Pasteur leaves school that day, Lunch Lady follows him, and in her wake are Hector, Terrence and Dee, who still want to know what Lunch Lady does when she isn’t working at the school. The children have no idea that what lies ahead of them will rock their world.
   This is the first in what promises to be a hugely entertaining series of graphic novels. Readers will be amused to discover that this particular lunch lady has a very exciting secret life, and they will love the names of the secret gadgets that her sidekick Betty creates for her.
   Readers who enjoy graphic novels are sure to enjoy reading and collecting the Lunch Lady titles. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share