Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and sixty

One of my favorite series for little children are the Mole Sisters books. These books are sweet, funny, and the main characters are delightful. Now the author who created the Mole Sisters, Roslyn Schwartz, has created a book about a pair of vole brothers whose gluttony is almost their undoing. 

Roslyn Schwartz
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
OwlKids, 2011, 978-1-926818-83-2
  The two vole brothers are a pair of eating machines, and they are always hungry. The problem is that though there is food around in their urban home, there is also a cat in the neighborhood who would love a vole snack.
   One day the voles smell something delicious, and so does the cat. Hiding inside a paper bag, the voles follow the large feline to the source of the smell, and being the wily creatures that they are, they steal a slice of pepperoni pizza that the cat finds in a garbage can. They soon discover that they are not the only creatures around who fancy pizza. First the pepperoni slices are stolen, and then the rest of the pizza is taken by a cohort of militant ants. With empty tummies, the voles wander off bemoaning their foodless state, not realizing that they are being carefully watched. By the cat.
   Using a comic book style format, Roslyn Schwartz, who created the Mole Sister books, tells a delightfully funny story that will charm young readers. We can only hope that this is just the first in a series of stories about the two voles who have bottomless appetites. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share