Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Unusual Heroes Blog Book Tour - Sally's Bones

Today is the second day that I am participating in the Unusual Heroes blog book tour. Today I am going to tell you about another new book that Sourcebooks is promoting. Just like The Warrior Sheep go West, this book has a hero who is rather usual. Actually, he is VERY unusual.

MacKenzie Cadenhead
Illustrated by T.S. Spookytooth
Fiction
For ages 9 to 11
Sourcebooks, 2011, 978-1-4022-5943-2
   After her mother dies, Sally Simplesmith’s life takes a very decided downward turn. Her father is withdrawn, and she is terribly lonely and quite angry as well. How could her mother leave Sally here all alone?
   When her old toddlerhood friend, Viola Vanderperfect, comes back to live in Merryland, Sally dares to hope that she will at last have a real friend, someone she can talk to about her problems. Sally soon finds out that Viola is a truly horrible stuck up little snob. Instead of refriending Sally, Viola does her best to make Sally’s life as miserable as possible.
   When her mother lay dying, Sally made a deal with her. Sally would “live every stupid day to the fullest,” and in turn Sally’s mother (dead or alive) would give Sally “whatever I want to make things right.” Sally has done her best keep her promise and it has all been a miserable failure. Now she feels her mother owes her since Sally has kept her side of the deal. Desperately unhappy, Sally goes to her mother’s grave in the cemetery and she tells her mother to “Give. Me. Death.”
   What Sally’s mother gives her is a dead dog. Literally. She gives her a little dog who is all bone and very little skin. At first, Sally is appalled, but she soon discovers that the little dog, even though it has no eyes, no flesh, and no fur, is an uncommonly clever and loving little thing. Soon the dog, Bones, is her best friend and steadfast companion.
   At last life is starting to look up for Sally, but, of course it does not stay that way for long. Something or someone is out to ruin what little happiness Sally has.
   In this decidedly odd and charmingly quirky book, readers will find out that love really can overcome death. In certain situations. It is hard not to feel pity for Sally, who so desperately wants a friend, and who finds one who is so unusual that he gets into trouble almost immediately.
   Readers who like tales that are strange, a little dark, but that have a happy ending will truly enjoy this title.

 Being a big dog fan, I decides to write to the Merryland Dog Pound to see if they have any dogs like Bones available for adoption. This is the letter that I got in response:

Dear Ms. Marya Jansen-Gruber,

Thank you for your interest in adopting a dog from the Merryland Dog Pound. We regret to inform you that, despite news reports to the contrary, we do not have any lovably lively but lifeless canines currently available. While the rumor is true – there is a living, breathing skeleton dog that goes by the name of Bones gallivanting all over town – he belongs to a girl named Sally Simplesmith and, as far as we know, he’s one of a kind. (And thank goodness for that! One petrified pooch is plenty.)
Might we interest you in a cocksure cocker or dashing dachshund? Perhaps a prancing poodle puppy? Or is a marvelous mutt more your style? No? Well, if you’ve got your heart set on a canine cadaver, I’ll tell you what I know. (Though if you ask me it’s your funeral.) As a breed I must warn you that the dearly departed doggie has a history of alleged criminal behavior. Though my colleague the Dog Catcher hasn’t been able to make anything stick, he assures me it won’t be long before he sends that spirited skeleton to Sing Sing! Still, there are some who consider the bloodless hound adventurous and clever, loyal and kind – like Sally. She never even had a friend before Bones showed up and now they’re practically Merryland royalty!
So, if it’s a life of dog treats and danger you want, go ahead; keep looking for a skeleton dog all your own. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Sincerely,
Ida Tolljyah
Adoption Coordinator, Merryland Dog Pound

I guess I need to hang out in the local cemetery and maybe I will find the dog I am looking for there.

1 comment:

dog potty training said...

This post was very nicely written and it also contains many useful facts i enjoyed your way of writing this post thanks you have made it very easy for me to understand.

Bookmark and Share