Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and sixty-five

There are some people who, try as they might, cannot seem to stay out of trouble. Even when they are endeavoring to avoid trouble, it seems to find them. This picture book for written for the poor souls and it sure to  make readers of all ages laugh. After all, who can resist a little dinosaur who tries to wash a dirty rug in a dishwasher!

Mary Newell DePalma
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Eerdmans, 2011, 978-0-8028-5372-1
  Some little dinosaurs can play nicely together, building creations with their wooden bricks. And then there is the kind of little dinosaur who likes to bounce on the sofa, and who ends up knocking over all the brick creations and a potted plant.
   Of course the naughty little dinosaur gets into trouble for making a mess, and he is told to sweep up all the plant soil. The problem is that this particular little dinosaur is accident prone, and he knocks a milk jug over with the broom, making another mess. “Uh-Oh!” He had better clean up all that spilled milk.
   The little dinosaur ends up using a rug to mop up the milk, which he puts into the dishwasher to get clean. Not reading the instructions on the soap container, the little dinosaur adds LOTS of soap to the machine. He gives a sigh of relief, imagining that his troubles are over, but alas they have only just begun.
   This mostly wordless picture book is sure to amuse young children who are find themselves getting into trouble far too easily. Not only are the dinosaur’s misadventures ridiculously funny, but the story’s ending is quite perfect.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share