Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, September 19, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and sixty-two

Many people are attracted to the idea of having an exotic pet. How cool it would be to take a lion for a walk in the park, or to go to school with a snake draped over ones shoulders. The problem is that lions, snakes, monkeys, parrots, and other exotic animals can be a bit unpredictable. In today's picture book you will meet a little boy who has a pet rhino and who discovers that rhinos can be rather unusual animals.

Jon Agee
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Scholastic, 2011, 978-0-545-29441-6
   One day a boy buys a rhinoceros at an exotic pet shop, and he soon discovers that he really does not know much about rhinos. His pet is “shy” and does not do much. He doesn’t fetch balls, sticks, or Frisbees and he won’t do any tricks.
   When the boy consults a rhinoceros expert, he learns that rhinos only do two things. They “Pop balloons and poke holes in kites.” Dear me. In the boy’s opinion both of these things are rather “pathetic.” Not only that, but this particular rhinoceros shows no inclination to pop balloons or poke holes in kites. Perhaps the little boy would have been better off with a hippopotamus for a pet.
   As they read this story, children will laugh out loud when they see how the little boy’s unusual pet finally proves that a rhinoceros is not a boring pet at all. With a simple text and amusing illustrations, this picture book is sure to appeal to children who dream of getting an exotic pet of their own.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share