Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and fifty-seven

The Amulet graphic novel series has been lauded by reviewers and book fans all over the world, and today I am delighted to be able to bring you my review of the newest book in the series. This installment continues where book three left off, and we discover that the situation the main character is in is actually even worse than we thought.

Amulet #4: The Last Council
Kazu Kibuishi
Graphic Novel
For ages 9 to 12
Scholastic, 2011, 978-0-545-20887-1
   Led by a boy called Max, Emily, her family, her friends and her allies are finally in Cielis, the floating city. They all hope that here they will at long last be able to get the help they need to defeat the Elf King, their mortal enemy. They are not in Cielis long before it becomes apparent that all is not well. Emily is separated from her friends, the elves who came with her are imprisoned, and Emily has a distinct feeling that something is very wrong.
   Soon after arriving at Cielis, Emily is taken to the Academy and she learns that she is going to have to compete in some strange trial for a place on the Guardian Council. She and Max are told that they need to be willing to “succeed at any cost.” The other young Stonekeepers that they meet are willing to fight each other for a place on the Council, but Emily believes that they should all work together. Perhaps if they do, they will all be able to survive the test.
   One by one the young Stonekeepers fail the tests they are presented with until at last, Emily and Max are the only survivors. Emily realizes that she has been deceived. She has been played by the enemy.
   In this fourth Amulet title, Kazu Kibuishi takes his readers on another tension-filled adventure that is full of surprises. Readers will learn that nothing is what it seems, and that it doesn’t pay to underestimate the enemy. Fantastic illustrations are paired with a story that has captured the interest of graphic novels fans of all ages. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share