Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and fifty-four

For many children, the beginning of September is back-to-school time, and school doings fill their lives. For some, getting used to being back in school is not easy, and there are anxious moments. For today's picture book I have a title that will help children to remember that school can be fun, even if they don't have a canine class mate.

Harry Bliss
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Scholastic, 2011, 978-0-545-23344-6
   Bailey is a dog, a special kind of dog who goes to Champlain Elementary School five days a week. Like the children in his class, Bailey packs his lunch and he has subjects that he is better at than others. He likes to tell everyone what his favorite things are (sticks, bones, slow-moving squirrels) and he is very good in math.
   There are times though when he is very much a dog. He tends to eat his homework (literally), and he cannot help rummaging through the garbage after lunch. He loves to dig holes and chase sticks. Sometimes these doggy activities are an asset, and at other times they are not, and you can never be quite sure when Bailey’s dogginess is going to take over.
   In this delightful book, Harry Bliss, who created Diary of a worm and Diary of a spider, lets us share a school day with a very unique elementary school student. Children are sure to enjoy reading about his adventures and misadventures, and by the time they get to the last page they will wish that Bailey was a student in their class. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share