Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, September 16, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and fifty-nine

Many of us have a favorite piece of clothing that we wear and wear and wear until the fabric is thin and often full of holes. Often these items of clothing have a good story to go with them, or they remind us of a happy or special moment in our lives. 

In today's picture book, you will meet a little girl who has a favorite dress and who finds a way to keep enjoying the dress long after is has grown too small for her. 

Boni Ashburn
Illustrated by Julia Denos
For ages 6 to 8
Abrams, 2011, 978-1-4197-0016-3
   A girl has a dress that is her “favoritest dress ever.” She wears it every Tuesday (her favorite day of the week), until one Tuesday when she finds out that she has grown too big for the dress. The girl is so upset that she makes a huge fuss. Thankfully, her mother, who is a very wise woman, calms her down and tells not to make “mountains out of molehills.” The little girl’s mama does a little snipping and a little sewing, and she turns the dress into a shirt.
   The girl is delighted with her shirt, but there comes a time when it too is too small and Mama turns the shirt into a tank top, which is perfect for those hot summer days.
   In the fall, the girl goes back to school and since tank tops are not allowed at school, her mama turns the top into a skirt. Is this the last incarnation of the much loved dress, or will it keep on going forever?
   In this delightful picture book, we see how a treasured article of clothing is turned into a shirt, a tank top, a skirt and more. Recycling of this kind is not only environmentally friendly, but it is also creative and a lot of fun, and it allows children to enjoy a much loved treasure for years and years. Throughout the book, a light bouncy text is paired with Julia Denos’ delightful multimedia illustrations, which beautifully capture the adventures the little girl has with her “favoritest” dress. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share