Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and forty-nine

It is an important moment in a child's life when he or she learns that money does not grows on trees, nor does it magically appear in purses and wallets. If you want to spend money, you have earn it. In today's picture book you will meet a little girl who wants to buy something, and since she is broke, she has to figure out how to make some cash. 

Devon Kinch
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Random House, 2010, 978-0-375-86735-4
   Penny is a little girl who has “big ideas.” Among other things, she has written a novel and held a dog fashion show. Now she needs another big idea because she has no money and she wants to give Bunny, her grandmother, a birthday party.
   Thankfully, a big idea finally comes along. Bunny has an attic full of stuff and Penny asks if she can “turn the attic into a shopping mall.” Bunny loves the idea because she will be glad to get rid of all her miscellaneous and unwanted bits and pieces. Penny then gets to work, because hosting a sale takes some organization.
   In this cleverly written picture book, children will meet a character who will show them some financial basics. They will see how Penny prices items, how she sells them, how she saves the money she earns, and how she spends it. Best of all, they will see how a child can use her wits to give something to someone she loves.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share